Today was D-Day [as they say on HGTV], Demo Day!
It's cold out. 22 degrees cold. We started our morning walking the dogs in snow flurries - but that didn't hold us back from our first Vanagon project - it's D-Day! Mike and I were determined to start gutting Burt. Our first step was to pull up those original vintage '83 carpets [the HGTV-addict in me was joking "what if we find the original hard wood floors underneath!" haha] and step two was to fix the antenna for our radio.
Ripping the carpets out wasn't as tough as I would have anticipated, they were so old and dry-rotted that they pulled right up. We were hoping to find some treasures hidden under there, but only turned up with 50 cents and a really old used lollipop stick [ick!]. Luckily we will still be able to use the base floor padding - it's still in good condition. Now that the carpet's removed, the next step will be to add the sound proofing and flooring.
BONUS - I did find some cool hidden typography in the metal flooring between the front seats. Can you spot it? [HI!]
We knew there were issues with Burt's radio when we got him. My 2.5 drive home with him from Madison was 100% silent [if you don't count the clanking of the engine and squeaking while shifting gears].
Step one was to disconnect [D and R] the battery, which is located [unusually] under the front passenger seat. Then we were able to create our own u-hook 'radio-taker-outter tool' out of a coat hanger. It pokes into the 4 holes on the corners of old radios and pops them out. Mike is modeling the tool and the new antenna we purchased below:
We had to remove the grill and front headlight to get into the wiring on the front. As we did we found the original antenna smashed up [must had been from a small fender bender] inside that front pocket and removed it.
After a few minutes, viola! We had a working radio antenna! Woo hoo!